- Postdoctoral Research Fellow on artificial intelligence futures in next-generation professional services project at the University of the Arts London, Central Saint Martin’s Innovation Insights Hub.
- Research Fellow on Smart Money: Precision Data Management for Distributed Ledger enabled Central Bank issued Digital Currencies project at Brunel University London
- Senior Research Associate: Research into Cyber Security Body of Knowledge at Security Lancaster (InfoLab21) Research Centre and School of Computing and Communications, Lancaster University.
- Post-Doctoral Research Assistant on Cyber Security Cartographies (CySeCa) project (Art and Design) in Information Security Group at Royal Holloway, University of London
- Research Assistant in Usability. Project: Smart Research Framework (SRF): Cloud-based Collaborative Notebook system, University of Southampton.
- PhD in Human-Computer Interaction. 2012. Cerebral palsy, online social networks and change. City University London http://openaccess.city.ac.uk/3011/
- MSc by Research and Dissertation. 2008. The evaluation of different on-line design technologies that demonstrate within-website or web application advertising: the case study of an academic integrity quiz. Kingston University London http://eprints.kingston.ac.uk/20764/
- First, 1.0, BSc Hons. 2006. Computer Information Systems Design (Multimedia Information Systems. Kingston University London
- Lewis, M., Perry, M. 2019. Follow the Money: Follow the Money: Managing Personal Finance Digitally. In Proceedings of the CHI’19 conference, May 4–9, 2019, Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3300620
- Sturdee, M., Lewis, M., Marquardt, N., 2018. Feeling SketCHI?: the lasting appeal of the drawn image in HCI. Interactions 25.6 (2018): 64-69. https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3274562
- Rashid, A., Danezis, G., Chivers, H., Lupu, E., Martin, A., Lewis, M., and Peersman, C. 2018. Scoping the Cyber Security Body of Knowledge.IEEE Security & Privacy 16.3 (2018): 96-102. https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/8395134/
- Coles-Kemp, L., Zugenmaier, A., and Lewis. M., 2014. Watching You Watching Me: The Art of Playing the Panopticon. Digital Enlightenment Yearbook 2014. pp. 147 – 162 http://ebooks.iospress.nl/publication/38139
- Lewis. M, Coles-Kemp, L., 2014. A Tactile Visual Library To Support User Experience Storytelling. NordDesign2014 https://www.academia.edu/9283817/A_Tactile_Visual_Library_To_Support_User_Experience_Storytelling
- Lewis. M, Coles-Kemp, L., 2014. Are You Feeling It? The Use Of Comic Strips To Encourage Empathy in Design. Extended Abstract for Workshop on Enabling Empathy in Health and Care: Design Methods and Challenges at CHI’14 Human Factors in Computing Systems, Toronto, Canada. http://di.ncl.ac.uk/empathy/workshop-papers/
- Lewis. M, G. Buchanan, S.Wilson., 2012. A five-stage process for online social network change. Poster Paper at ACM conference on Designing Interactive Systems (DIS’12), Newcastle, UK.
- Lewis. M., 2010. Cerebral palsy and online social networks. The 12th International ACM SIGACCESS Conference on Computers and Accessibility, Orlando, USA http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1878852
- Colbert. M, Lewis. M, Chattratichart. J, Edwards. N., 2008. Persuading users to perform follow-on tasks – an initial case study. ECCE 2008 Annual Conference of European Association of Cognitive Ergonomics, Madeira, Portugal.t http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1473056
Academic workshop position publications
- Lewis, M., Perry, M., and Louvieris, P., 2018. Designing Smart Money on a Digital Ledger: Central Bank issued Digital Currencies. In Proceedings of the HCI for Blockchain: A CHI 2018 workshop on Studying, Critiquing, Designing and Envisioning Distributed Ledger Technologies workshop at CHI’18, April 21–26, 2018, Montreal, QC, Canada https://www.hciforblockchain.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/25/2018/04/Lewis.pdf
- First Prize Trespass Visualisation Award. 2015. Cyberstalking: It’s about control, not only privacy! Border Sessions The Hague. http://www.trespass-project.eu/node/230 winning entry can be viewed: https://twitter.com/trespassproject/status/665136142480769024
- Lewis. M, Coles-Kemp, L. (2014) I’ve Got Something To Say: The Use Of Animation To Create A Meta-Story About Professional Identity. Extended Abstract for Workshop StoryStorm: A Collaborative Exchange of Methods for Storytelling at DIS’14 Designing Interactive Systems, Vancouver, Canada. https://sites.google.com/site/wearestorystorm/lewis
- Lewis. M, Coles-Kemp, L., 2014. Who Says Personas Can’t Dance? The Use Of Comic Strips To Design Information Security Personas. Extended Abstract at CHI’14 Human Factors in Computing Systems, Toronto, Canada http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2581323
- Lewis. M, Coles-Kemp, L. Siganto, J., 2014. Picture This: Tools To Help Community Storytelling. Extended Abstract for Workshop Tactile User Experience Evaluation Methods Extended Abstract at CHI’14 Human Factors in Computing Systems, Toronto, Canada. https://www.academia.edu/9283678/Picture_This_Tools_To_Help_Community_Storytelling
Sketching in HCI academic workshops, courses, and special interest groups
- Lewis, M., Sturdee, M., Marquardt, N., Walny, J., Foster, J., Hoang. T., and Carpendale., S. 2019. SketCHI 2.0: Hands-On Special Interest Group on Sketching in HCI. In Proceedings of the CHI’19 Extended Abstracts, May 4–9, 2019, Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3311753
- Lewis, M., Sturdee, M., Marquardt, N., 2019. Sketching in HCI: Hands-on Course of Sketching Techniques. In Proceedings of the CHI’19 Extended Abstracts, May 4–9, 2019, Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3290607.3298805
- Lewis, M., Sturdee, M., Marquardt, N., 2018. Applied Sketching in HCI: Hands-on Course of Sketching Techniques. In Proceedings of the CHI’18 Extended Abstracts, May 21–26, 2018, Montreal, QC, Canada https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3170427.3170649
- Lewis, M., Sturdee, Marquardt, N., and Hoang, T., 2018. SketCHI: Hands-On Special Interest Group on Sketching in HCI. In Proceedings of the CHI’18 Extended Abstracts, April 21–26, 2018, Montreal, QC, Canada https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3170427.3185366
- Lewis, M., Sturdee, M. Alexander, J, Dijk, J.V., Kirkegaard Rasmussen, M., and Hoang, T. 2017. SketchingDIS: Hand-drawn Sketching in HCI. In Proceedings of the Designing Interactive Systems Conference (DIS’17), June 10-14, 2017, Edinburgh, United Kingdom ACM
- Lewis, M., Sturdee, M. 2016. Using sketching to emphasise and elaborate on HCI research. In Proceedings of the NordiCHI’16 is the 9th Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction. https://sketchinghci.wordpress.com/.
- Lewis. M. 2016. Doodling and comics as an innovative approach to visualising security risk of internet of things. TresSPASS Summer School 2016, Egham, UK
Sketching in UX/HCI interviews and blogs
- Sturdee, M., Lewis, M., Marquardt, N., 2018. SketchBlog #1: the rise and rise of the sketchnote. Interactions 25.6 (2018): 6-8. https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3281661
- Adobe Blog.2018. Makayla Lewis on The Power of Sketchnoting in UX Design https://theblog.adobe.com/makayla-lewis-power-sketchnoting-ux-design/
- UX Bristol. 2016. Visual note taking, short interview http://2016.uxbristol.org.uk/2016/09/21/visual-note-taking/
Industry sketching in UX tutorials and workshops
- Upcoming: Design Exchange, Nottingham England (13 August). 2019. Sketching and Sketchnotes 101
- Nationwide Building Society (Mobile & Digital Experience). 2019. Sketching and Sketchnotes 101.
- Agile in the city: London (3-5 April). 2019. Enriching agile sketches using established visual note-taking techniques
- QuantumBlack. 2018. Sketching and Sketchnotes 101.
- UX Cambridge. 2018. Sketchnotes in UX Design
- POKE. 2018. Sketching and Sketchnotes 101
- UX in the city: Manchester. 2018. Sketchnoting UX
- AfroTech Fest. 2018. Sketchnotes 101
- UX Oxford. 2017. Sketchnotes 101
- UX Scotland. 2017. Sketchnotes 101: Sketchnoter’s are the better thinkers.
- UX In The City: Oxford. 2017. “Sketchnoters are the better thinkers” workshop
- UX Bristol. 2016. Visual note-taking
- UX Camp Leeds. 2016. Sketchnoting: to support free and open exchange of complex thoughts, content and user experiences workshop http://2016.nuxcamp.uk/
- Webcredible Sketchnote Skillswap #2. 2016. https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/sketchnote-skillswap-tickets-9629436905?aff=eioscfrmshretwtr&ref=eioscfrmshretwtr
- User-Centred Design Conference. 2015. Sketching to Support Free and Open Exchange of Complex Thoughts, Content and User Experiences. http://2015.ucduk.org/
- 4th International Visual Methods Conference (IVM ’15). 2015. Seeing What You See: Collecting and Analysing Participatory Design Data.
- Webcredibe. 2015. Sketchnote Skillswap #1 https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/sketchnote-skillswap-tickets-16202289484?ref=ebtnebregn
- Technical Communication UK 2014 Conference. 2014. Listen, look, imagine, doodle: visual note-taking to support free and open exchange of complex thoughts, opinions, and content.
Sketch artist and illustrator:
I have been a sketch artist (incl. sketchnotes, graphic recording, and graphic facilitation) for multiple organisations, agencies, conferences, and events since 2014, some of this cannot be published, however, the following can be identified:
- Sketch Artist. 2019. CHI 2019 Workshop on Mid-Air Haptics Interfaces for Interactive Digital Signage and Kiosks. Glasgow, UK.
- Illustration. 2018. Research Methods, Jaguar Cars via Design, Brunel University London
- Sketch Artist. 2018. Justis Legal Design Sprint, City University London
- Sketch Artist. 2018. The Future of Computing & Food, Satellite Event of ACM-FCA International Conference on Advanced Visual Interfaces. Grosseto, Italy
- Sketch Artist. 2018. ACM CHI workshop on MidAir Haptics for Control Interfaces. Montreal Canada
- Sketch Artist. 2018. LiveNation. UK, London
- Sketch Artist. 2018. Cyber Essentials. UK, London
- Illustration. 2018. The Creative Planner Magazine (Spring Issue) Self Care Challenge Adult Colouring Page https://tcpmag.wordpress.com
- Sketch artist and Facilitator. 2017. Natural History Museum October Lates.
- Sketch Artist. 2017. C’M’S’ Tax and Law. UK, London
- Sketch Artist. 2017. ACM Interactive Surfaces and Spaces conference. UK, Brighton.
- Sketch artist. 2017. UNDERstanding West African culture to pRevent cybercrimEs workshop, WMG University of Warwick https://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/wmg/research/csc/research/underware_project/workshop/presentations/
- Heath, C., Coles-Kemp, L., Hall, P., Lane, G., Sturdee, M and Lewis, M (2016)
TresSPASS Toolkit. Royal Holloway, University of London Publications.
- Sketch Artist. 2016. ACM CHI workshop on MidAir Haptics. San Jose, USA
- Sketch Artist. 2017. Harvard Publishings. UK, London
- Comic Illustration. 2015. First Prize Trespass Visualisation Award. 2015. Cyberstalking: It’s about control, not only privacy! Border Sessions The Hague
- Illustration. 2015. Blue Star Colouring’s Holiday Parade: A Christmas Adult Colouring Book
- Illustration. 2014. Mike Rohde’s The Sketchnote Workbook: Advanced Techniques for Taking Visual Notes You Can Use Anywhere
- Illustration. 2014. Scott Torrance’s 143 Visuals to Inspire You to Take Action
Additionally, I have a co-sketch artist for the following on-going projects:
- Founder, organiser, and co-sketch artist. 2017. SketchnoteHangout.com Visual Dictionary (2 issues).
- Co-founder, co-organiser, and co-sketch artist. 2016 – 2018. 365 Icon and sketchnote challenge printables www.gumroad.com/snchallenge
- Ongoing: Founder and organiser Sketchnote Hangout, monthly online event
- Ongoing: Founder and organiser SketchnoteLDN, monthly in-person event
- 2010 to 2011: Founder and organiser: Web Accessibility London (a11yLDN)
Talks and presentations:
- International Sketchnote Camp. 2018. Letter to my 2012 self, Lisbon Portugal
- Trespass Visualisation Award (First Prize) “Cyberstalking: it’s about control, not only privacy!” at Border Sessions The Hague, 2015 http://www.trespass-project.eu/node/230 winning entry can be viewed: https://twitter.com/trespassproject/status/665136142480769024
- The 27th Annual International Technology and Persons with Disabilities Conference (CSUN’12), San Diego, USA. Authors: M. Lewis “aOSN-cp model to assist social media change”
- Technical Communication UK 2012 Conference (TCUK’12), Newcastle, UK “A five-stage process for social media change”
- E-Access’12 Technology for All Conference, London, UK Closing plenary “Cloud, mobile and consumerisation: a problem explodes”
- The ACM conference on Designing Interactive Systems (DIS’12), Newcastle, UK “A five-stage process for online social network change”
- HCID’12 “The unforeseen effects of changing your website on people with disabilities”- https://www.eventbrite.com/event/2882809561?nomo=1
- CSUN’12 – “aOSN-cp model to assist social media change”
- Web Accessibility Meetup – “Developing a 5-stage process for online social network change, focus on users with cerebral palsy” – http://a11yldnmeetup2.eventbrite.co.uk/?ebtv=C
- London Web Standards – “Mapping #NewTwitter change approach”
- E-Access’11 Conference – Technology for All – “The unforeseen effects of changing your website on people with disabilities”
- Accessibility Hack Days – “How people with cerebral palsy use online social networks”
- London Lightning UX – “Enhancing the general inductive approach using personas”
- City University London (Centre for HCI Design) Open Day – “The affects of changing social networks on people with disabilities”
- The 12th International ACM SIGACCESS Conference on Computers and Accessibility, Orlando, USA.Author: M Lewis “cerebral palsy and online social networks” poster session – https://makaylalewis.wordpress.com/2010/10/22/experiencing-online-social-networks-with-cerebralpalsy-at-assets10/
- Web Accessibility London 2010 – a11yLDN – “online communication and users with motor impairments” – http://a11yldn.org.uk/2010/09/presentation-and-workshop-blurbs.html
- E-Access’10 Conference – Technology for All – Chair of round table session “Are online social networks accessible to users with motor disabilities?”. URL: Version: http://www.headstar.com/eablive/?p=468
- Research² PhD Forum – Research Methods in Information Science, Loughborough University – co-workshop presenter “approaches to dealing with data overload”
- City University London Centre for HCI Design MPhil/PhD transfer seminar “Technology use in the CP community”
- Women in Computing Research 2010 London Hopper Colloquium “Cerebral palsy and online social networks”
- City University London ‘inclusive design’ guest lecture “Cerebral palsy and online social networks”
- University of Sussex 11thHuman-Centred Technology Postgraduate Workshop “The analysis of online social network services to include users with cerebral palsy”
- British Computing Society 1stAnnual Doctoral Consortium on Computer Science and Informatics “The relationship between physically disabled individuals and online social networks”
- City University London Centre for HCI Design Seminar “Computer-mediated communication (non) usage within the cerebral palsy community”
- Kensington and Chelsea Disability Youth Forum “Examination of online social network services to further include users with physical disabilities: cerebral palsy?”
- Oxford Internet Institute Information and Web Science Doctoral Workshop “How can physically disabled on-line communication users, especially those with cerebral palsy, be further included in social network services?”
- Kensington and Chelsea Action Disability Youth Project “The analyses of online social network services to further include users with physical disabilities: cerebral palsy.”
- Accessibility 2.0 –Million Flowers Bloom Conference “Makayla Lewis on Social Networking for people with Cerebral Palsy – Better inclusion for users with Cerebral Palsy in Social Networks, is this necessary?” URL: http://www.abilitynet.org.uk/accessibility2/2009/09/17/makayla-lewis-on-social-networking-for-people-with-cerebal-palsy/
Achievements and awards:
- Trespass Visualisation Award (First Prize) “Cyberstalking: it’s about control, not only privacy!” at Border Sessions, The Hague, 2015
- Council for the Advancement of Communication with Deaf People (CACDP) in British Sign Language for Level 1 and Level 2 certification
- ACM SIGACCESS Scholarship to attend ASSETS’10 Conference on Computers and Accessibility
- Women in Computing Research London Hopper Colloquium, 2nd prize for poster session, 2010
- Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Apollo Awards, runner up prize for volunteer individual award (17 to 25 years), 2009
- London Development Agency Innovation Placement Certificate, 2008
- Kingston University London Faculty Prize for best information systems student, 2006
- London Borough of Camden Good Citizen of the Year Award, 2003
- UK Millennium Volunteers Award 600 Hours, 2003
- UK Silver Duke of Edinburgh Award, 2002